GemStone has received a few requests for training classes and we are close to having enough students to offer classes (we must have at least 3 students per class).
If you are interested in GemStone training in the next 3 months or so, please contact Norm Green (send mail and Norm will get back to you). Course descriptions are shown below.
Course 1: GemStone/S Fundamentals
GemStone’s most popular course is a combination of three introductory offerings presented together over a 4 day period. The student learns fundamental concepts and issues associated with using GemStone, including shared access to business objects, partitioning applications and basic system management. The instruction format is a mix of lecture and hands-on exercises to provide the student with actual programming experience.
GemStone highly recommends that every person involved in a GemStone project take this course to establish a baseline of knowledge within the development team.
You Should Take This Course If You:
* Are or will be participating in a GemStone project.
* Want to understand fundamental GemStone concepts.
* Seek a baseline of GemStone programming and basic system management knowledge.
Prerequisites For This Course Are:
* An understanding of object-oriented architecture and design
* A working knowledge of Cincom VisualWorks(r) Smalltalk or Instantiations VisualAge(r) Smalltalk
This Course Will Teach You About:
* Product overview
* The session model
* Transactions and concurrency
* User and object-level security
* System management tasks
GemBuilder for Smalltalk
* Application development tools
* Partitioning applications between client and server
* Working with connectors
* Managing replication and forwarding
* Implementing transaction and concurrency strategies
* Starting sessions programmatically
* Optimizing queries
* Object notification and inter-session signaling
Basic System Management
* System management tools
* Installation and configuration
* System architecture, files and processes
* Storage management
* Backup and recovery
* Garbage collection
* System monitoring
Course Duration: 4 days.
Course Fees: $2,300 per attendee. Class size is limited to 10.
Course 2: GemStone/S Advanced Programming Practices
This is the most popular follow on class for Smalltalk server architects, developers, designers, and implementers. This five day class was originally developed for GemStone’s own Smalltalk server consultants to quickly learn the tips, tricks and techniques that result in stable, scalable, and performant Smalltalk server production applications.
You should take this Course If You:
* Have significant Smalltalk server application development experience
* Are currently involved in designing or architecting a GemStone project
* Seek advanced GemStone server design and implementation practices
Prerequisites For this Course Are:
* Attend Fundamentals of GemStone/S course
* Have several months of GemStone application development experience
This course was originally developed for GemStone’s own internal use to provide rapid education and training to its consultants. The know-how of GemStone’s consulting force has been captured in this intensive program. The course’s objectives are to transfer significant technical information and know-how to the experienced GemStone user in a short period of time. Students will be exposed to advanced programming techniques and methodologies, as well as a wealth of technical insight into the workings of GemStone.
This Course Will Teach You About
* GemStone’s server architecture
* The GemBuilder for Smalltalk architecture
* Versioning and multi-user issues
* Application partitioning methodologies
* Client-server optimization techniques
* Essential server performance enhancements
* Performance and system analysis
* Using blocks wisely
* Transaction design and methodologies
* Collection design and implementation
* Using clustering techniques
A number of GemStone Professional Services’ Toolkits are provided and/or explained during the course. These are the same tools used by GemStone consultants when performing customer engagements:
* Garbage Probe
* Transaction Probe
* GciCall Tracking
Course Duration: 5 days.
Course Fees: Open Enrollment: $3,300 per attendee. Class size is limited to 10.