GemTools 1.0-beta.3 features:
- improve ”Show Object log” output format
- add ”List backup files” command
- add some missing icon definitions for Squeak
- load OB/Shout if not present
- ProfStef tutorials (Pharo only for the moment)
The major change with this version is that the installation instructions are included as part of GemTools release. The last statement in install expression opens an interactive tutorial (created with ProfStef) in the Smalltalk image to guide you through the necessary steps to finish the GemTools install. The tutorial provides guidance for several different tasks from installing GemStone/S to opening the GemTools Launcher. A How To… button has been added to the GemTools Launcher with step by step tutorials for the following topics (so far):
- How to finish the GemTools installation
- How to define a GemTools session to log into your GemStone server
- How to update your GemStone server code (GLASS.230-dkh.164 through GLASS.230-dkh.231)
- How to open GemTools Launcher
- How to install and start a GemStone Server
- How to build a custom extent (GLASS 1.0-beta.4 and later)
- How to update your GLASS software after building a custom extent (GLASS 1.0-beta.4 and later)
- How to update your GemTools client software
Here’s a sample screen from the ‘How to finish the GemTools installation’:
What this means for you is that the installation instructions will match the version of GemTools that you are installing and you won’t have to guess which blog post has the right instructions for your situation. I will be updating the tutorials to cover more subjects and I welcome the contributions of tutorials from others (just let me know and I’ll add you as a developer to GemTools repository).
Wiki and Bug Reports
In the last week or so, I created a Google Code project for GLASS called glassdb. The project provides a public wiki and a public issue reporting system. I encourage you to submit a bug if you run into issues using GemTools or GLASS.
With a public bug reporting system it is now possible for you to contribute bugfixes as well as bug reports. If you want to contribute let me know and I’ll you to the glassdb project and add you to the GLASS DEVS group on GemSource.
Or click on the Update… button in the GemTools Launcher and select Update GemTools Client menu item.
Execute the following code in a Pharo workspace after downloading a recent version of Pharo (tested with Pharo1.0-10508-rc2dev10.01.2 and PharoCore-1.0-10508rc2 images):
Gofer new squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository'; package: 'ConfigurationOfGemTools'; load. (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfGemTools) perform: #loadLatestVersion. (Smalltalk at: #ProfStef) perform: #goOn: with: (Smalltalk at: #OGFinishGemToolsInstall)