GemStone/S 64 3.1.0 was released July 5, 2012.GemStone/S 64 Bit 3.1.0 is a major new version, including many new features as well as enhancements to existing features and bug fixes. A quick highlight of features is as follows:
- IPv6 support
- multi-threaded, highly performant backup and restore
- increased security for remote logins using SRP and SSL
- a new hot standby interface, providing continuous automatic synchronization
- powerful locale-specific collation using the ICU libraries
- full support for upgrade of Seaside applications
- API for secure SSL sockets from Smalltalk
Release notes, Install Guide and manuals are available here. Be sure to carefully read the GemStone 3.1.0 release notes, if this is the first time you have used GemStone/S 3.x as there are significant differences between GemStone3.x and GemStone 2.x.
Before attempting an upgrade you will want to make sure that your application loads into a virgin 3.1 repository (extent0.seaside.dbf) and passes unit tests before attempting the upgrade.
GemStone 3.1.0 ships with GLASS 1.0-beta.8.7.2 pre-installed in
You can download the binaries from ftp://ftp.gemstone.com/pub/GemStone64/3.1.0, use the installGemStone3.1.0.sh script to download and install GemStone 3.1.0 on your machine(highly recommended), or visit seaside.gemstone.com downloads page.
Once you’ve installed Gemstone in
/opt/gemstone/product, follow these steps to start and stop the stone:
- Define GEMSTONE environment variables ($GEMSTONE/bin and $GEMSTONE/seaside/bin added to your $PATH environment variable):
It is recommended that you add this step to your
- Copy the
extent0.dbffiles to data directory:
cp $GEMSTONE/seaside/system.conf \ $GEMSTONE/seaside/data chmod +w $GEMSTONE/seaside/data/system.conf cp $GEMSTONE/bin/extent0.seaside.dbf \ $GEMSTONE/seaside/data/extent0.dbf chmod +w $GEMSTONE/seaside/data/extent0.dbf
This step is performed as part of the installGemStone3.1.0.sh script.
stoneprocess is running:
A One-Click GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7 for GemStone 3.1.0 can be obtained from the seaside.gemstone.com downloads page or you can download GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7 for Gemstone/S 3.1.0 all platforms directly.
You can build a custom GemTools image by following these steps on the glass db wiki.